Saturday 28 March 2009

Petworth Parking Poser

One of the good things about Petworth is that it has a large carpark right in the middle of town which is free to use and has unlimited parking. I heard that there were plans afoot to start a system where the parking will still be free but there will be a 2 hour time limit.

On first hearing it sounded a bit daft to me. But I listened and it turns out that there is a problem. It seems that a lot of people who work in London have the habit of meeting up in Petworth and sharing a lift either into London itself or to Haslemere or Pulborough stations, where the parking isn't free.

This means that the car park gets full up early in the morning and stays that way until the evening, meaning that people who have business in Petworth itself during the day have a job finding somewhere to park. The limited time rule should make this a bit easier. The commuters would soon work out that they could use the large car park by the Sylvia Beaufoy centre for the same purpose just as easily.

I couldn't help thinking that 4 hours would be a better time limit than 2 hours - there is a lot to see in Petworth and two hours seems a bit of a short period of time.

Anyhow, I don't know how far advanced these plans are and even if they will ever come to anything. If you know more than me please let me know.

petworth-car-park.JPG

No comments: